Site Meter What I Learned Today - MG's CIP: Technology: My New Headphones and How Speakers Work

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Technology: My New Headphones and How Speakers Work

I drink a lot of diet soda. The brand I frequent the most has a promotion going on where you can gather points and get stuff from a major retailer - yeah, those guys.

Anyway,through caps, 12 packs, cases, 2 liters, and throwing a few parties I was able to amass the required number of points to get new headphones. I chose the V-Moda Bling Black Extra Bass in ear headphones. The only reason I mention the brand name (as I have avoided mentioning brand names thus far in this post so far) is that I have been so impressed with the quality of the the sound I get from these headphones.

I got to thinking about how speakers work. I, like much of my generation, watched Back to the Future and the super speaker that blew Marty across the room. I was wondering how a speaker can generate physical force... It's all about the pressure of a sound wave.

From HowStuffWorks.com:

"Sound Basics

To understand how speakers work, you first need to understand how sound works.

Inside your ear is a very thin piece of skin called the eardrum. When your eardrum vibrates, your brain interprets the vibrations as sound -- that's how you hear. Rapid changes in air pressure are the most common thing to vibrate your eardrum.

An object produces sound when it vibrates in air (sound can also travel through liquids and solids, but air is the transmission medium when we listen to speakers). When something vibrates, it moves the air particles around it. Those air particles in turn move the air particles around them, carrying the pulse of the vibration through the air as a traveling disturbance.

To see how this works, let's look at a simple vibrating object -- a bell. When you ring a bell, the metal vibrates -- flexes in and out -- rapidly. When it flexes out on one side, it pushes out on the surrounding air particles on that side. These air particles then collide with the particles in front of them, which collide with the particles in front of them and so on. When the bell flexes away, it pulls in on these surrounding air particles, creating a drop in pressure that pulls in on more surrounding air particles, which creates another drop in pressure that pulls in particles that are even farther out and so on. This decreasing of pressure is called rarefaction."

So to my untrained mind, I would guess that the act of creating these pressure waves can generate enough force to physically move air... and (while simplified and overdone for the move) the speaker blasting Marty across the room may actually be possible. Hold you hand in front of an old speaker with the cover off on a good bass line sometime and feel the slight breeze each beat creates to see what I'm talking about.

1 comment:

Marc Lewandowski said...

You don't even need a speaker to feel the breeze. If you know someone with a double-bass, have them play the lowest note and hold your hand above the f-hole.