Site Meter What I Learned Today - MG's CIP: New Music [For me anyway] – Link Wray

Sunday, November 30, 2008

New Music [For me anyway] – Link Wray

I always like finding new musical artists, or seeing a new publication by a known favorite. By the way, if you care: Jason Mraz – Thumbs up… Guns N Roses… No dice.

So when my brother-in-law put together a site proposing the induction of Link Wray to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (that’s right, it’s still in Cleveland!), it got my attention – for a few reasons:
  • Eric doesn’t do websites – it’s my sister’s genre. But I took a look and I’m pretty impressed. Very well done, especially for a first effort.
  • Eric DOES do Music. I’m constantly impressed by the names he puts in front of me. Old school blues, shows he’s been to, artists I should try out. Los Straightjackets to Buddy Guy. He Knows music.
  • Eric’s more or less a quiet guy in general. For him to put a site together means I should take a look.

So here’s what I found:

First off – you can check out his Induct Link Wray site. http://inductlinkwray.com/

Great bio information there. Well researched.

I’ll try to give you the Wikipedia Link Wray highlights


Wray was noted for pioneering a new sound for electric guitars, as exemplified in his hit 1958 instrumental "Rumble", by Link Wray and his Ray Men, which pioneered an overdriven, distorted electric guitar sound, and also for having, "invented the power chord, the major modus operandi of modern rock guitarist,"[1] "and in doing so fathering," or making possible, "punk and heavy rock. “

The Music:

Peruse some of the history that Link Wray has been part of. That’s right, Raw-Hide… That alone should be enough to get you to read further. Carry on.

Singles

· Rumble
· Raw-Hide
· Comanche
· Slinky
· Vendetta (as Ray Vernon)
· Trail Of The Lonesome Pine
· Ain't That Lovin' You Babe
· Jack The Ripper
· El Toro
· Big City Stomp
· Rumble Mambo
· The Black Widow
· Week End
· Run Chicken Run
· The Shadow Knows
· Deuces Wild
· Good Rockin' Tonight
· I'm Branded
· Girl From The North Country
· Ace Of Spades
· The Batman Theme (with Bobby Howard)
· Ace Of Spades
· Let The Good Times Roll (with Kathy Lynn)
· Jack The Ripper
· It's All Over Now Baby Blue

Albums:

· Link Wray & The Raymen
· Great Guitar Hits by Link Wray
· Jack The Ripper
· Link Wray Sings And Plays Guitar
· Link Wray
· Mordicai Jones (w/ Bobby Howard)
· Be What You Want To
· Beans and Fatback (rec. 1971)
· The Link Wray Rumble (rec. February 1974)
· Stuck in Gear
· Bull Shot
· Live at the Paradiso
· Apache
· Wild Side of the City Lights
· Indian Child
· Shadowman
· Walking Down a Street Called Love - live
· Barbed Wire

Now that you have the background – go check out the site and sign the petition if you’d like to make an impact on the history of music.

I, for one, will affix my virtual John Hancock to this one.

Well done, Moore.

No comments: