Site Meter What I Learned Today - MG's CIP: Where I Ate: City: Philadelphia, PA - Episode 1

Friday, November 21, 2008

Where I Ate: City: Philadelphia, PA - Episode 1

So I’m back in PHL, waiting for the flight gods to grant me permission to embark on yet another trip home. (Please keep your fingers crossed). I’m getting ready for food week. Turkey, Stuffing, um… well, that’s enough for me for a week probably. I started thinking about my first few weeks working here in Philly. I’m working with someone who is even more into trying new restaurants that I am – imagine my joy! And we’ve put a hurting on the Frommers/Zagat/Family and Friend Recommendations list. PLEASE send me any recommendations you have. That’s where a lot of the best meals come from. Unless you don’t like me, then keep it to yourself ; )

This Post’s Highlight City: Philadelphia, PA

After my post on Houston eating, I learned not to try to memory dump this stuff and have been keeping rather up-to-date records of my culinary crusading. And with the proliferation of fine establishments that promise to fill the next few months, I thought I’d better do this locale on the installment plan. Overall, there have been a bunch of reasonably priced, really delicious foods that have crossed the pallet thus far. Here’s the first batch:

Fast Food

Here’s the standards list: I characterize fast food much like my mother does – I have to unwrap it. Usually wait in a queue, national chains, multiple states have them.

Wawa – Kind of a 7/11 with a custom sandwich shop. Hit the spot after a day of travel. Though I did expect a different condiments set to come recommended on a Philly Cheesesteak…in Philly. Where’s the Whiz?

Subway – As expected from one of the largest national chains. Actually got to sit outside and eat. Nice change of pace.

Au Bon Pain – Breakfast and lunch. Good breakfast sandwiches, tasty but small lunch items. I really need to have a combo (two sandwiches or soup and sandwich) to be satisfied, much like at Pot Belly’s in Houston.

Dunkin Donuts – Many of my breakfast spots have one thing in common – some breaded device covered in Egg, Cheese and a big honkin slice of meat. No real shock here. Standard.

Faunbrook Catering – A woman with a lunch table set up in the building next door to the Exton Office (outside of Philly). Really tasty sandwiches – Pastrami Reuben, Good sized Salads – Try the Pork Stewp (Stew and Soup). Really good on a cold day. Sandwich, Soup and Chips for $7? Seriously? Sweet!

Primo Subs – Go find this place. Good authentic east coast hogies and subs. I have been here a couple of times already. Small, standing-room-only waiting area at the one by me. But it’s worth it. Try the Sicilian, or my favorite thus far: the Suprimo. This is my kinda sandwich. Just be prepared if you order the “Whole” portion: “Do you really want all of that?” Um. Yes. All three times…

Papa John’s – Ahhh, the old college standby. To be fair, I was watching Monday Night Football, so I really just wanted to veg out and nosh on something familiar. Mission accomplished (sans banner and flight suit).

Potbelly’s – Like a shining beakin through the mist… a familiar sign of comfort and quality. I found it accidentally on my way back to the hotel from the R5 Suburban St Station. On 17th I think. Wreck and Italian please. I may start the Potbelly’s tour and just go location to location like a Dave Matthews Band groupie.

Gia Pronto Café – Across the street from the office (yes, I know you’re zoning in on my client… keep trying). There wasn’t a clear line or way to order, and the folks working seemed content to let me stand there and not be waited on… so I probably won’t be back. It’s a shame, because I liked the paninis. Try the Panini Gia Pronto (I always assume the sandwich named for the place should be good. The Panino Prosciutto is also tasty. But then, anything with Prosciutto is tasty.

The Corner Bakery Café – Breakfast for me please. Apparently the difference between the Smoked bacon and Cheddar Panini and the Commuter Croissant (aside from the ingredients) is foil. Both were delicious, though I should have grabbed some condiments. I would recommend asking for all thing you are taking to-go to be wrapped. The Plastic just allows for steam to make things soggy (don’t get me started on burger side dishes). A place I would go back to, but I would try something different.

Mid Range Places:

These were places I needed to order from a menu, but could sit down and have my food brought to me.. But you still get paper napkins and plastic “we don’t care if you steal it” cutlery:

SaladWorks – Yep, that’s right fair readers… I had a salad for lunch. Walked to the restaurant too. I’m darn near healthy this trip ; ) Good sized portions. Had the Honey BBQ Chicken Salad. No caffeine free drinks in the soda machine – weird. They have sandwiches / panini’s too.

Ruby Tuesday’s – Right across from the hotel. I do love me a good all you can eat salad. Wait staff wasn’t great. Very friendly, but no drink refills and they never brought my additional condiments back in 25 minutes. The food was good though – as expected.

Monk’s Café and Tavern – Highly recommended and well worth it. Not only is this a Belgian restaurant with fantastic food, but they sure know how to pair a meal with a beer. “A Delerium for my friend, and I’ll have a Chimay Blue please.” That earned me some ‘he may know what he’s talking about after all’ points me thinks. I had the cheek appetizer and a veal sandwich. Leave room for dessert. You won’t be disappointed.

Upper Crust-ier Type Joints:

These were nicer places. Linen on the table, you feel under-dressed in jeans and/or without a jacket. Probably not places I would try if I couldn’t charge it in after fasting for breakfast and lunch to save up the Per Diems.

La Viola – Small Italian one room place – maybe 20 tables, seemed to be run by a family. Delicious Antipasta Mista (check for the specials). I had the Chicken stuffed with Spinach and Cheese. Wonderful. Don’t forget to pick up your bottle of wine before you come in – this place is BYOB.

Penang in Chinatown – Nice Malaysian Place (I guess anyway, it was my first time at one). I apparently like Mee Siam – whatever it is. And the wings are good. Look for the Pancakes (especially if you get a seat near the kitchen) very cool preparation method by guys who have been doing this for a while.

Byblos – Great little place that apparently turns into a hardcore Mediterranean / Middle Eastern night club in the wee hours. I tried the Babaganoush, Saganaki (Ooo-pah!), Mee-sookah (pretty sure that’s spelled wrong). Interesting Moorish architectural/design motif as well. I’m told the Huka Pipe is something to experience… I’ll just watch from over here.

Alma de Cuba – Cuban place. Tried the Pistacio encrusted Rack of Lamb on the bed of mixed grees, Mofala and Chorizo. Um… YUM! The Fire and Ice Ceviche (Special that night) was also delicious – and I’m not what you would call a seafood guy. If you get a chance to get out here (especially on someone else’s dime) I recommend.
Watch for more from Philly!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sounds good...we'll pass it on to Dad's friend from Philly with the Domer wife.