Site Meter What I Learned Today - MG's CIP: Congrats Arizona and the Dept of Commerce & Labor

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Congrats Arizona and the Dept of Commerce & Labor

Well, it's February 14th again. That "Hallmark Holiday." The "American Greetings Anniversary." While it's not as manufactured (in my opinion) as it's September Counterpart, Valentines Day is not what I would call an authentic holiday. My standards include things like:
  • Do I get a day off work
  • Is there a big meal involved
  • Does it tend to bring a large group of people together
  • Is there historical/religious/political significance to the day

If I get to 3 or more yeses out of that list. I count it. Today... not so much.

My wife and I don't celebrate the day in what would be called the "typical fashion." Now that we have small children, that is likely to change in the very near future. However we will continue to live in our dream world of mini-pseudo-antidisestablishmentarianism. (I've always wanted to use that in an actual conversation). We do so by celebrating non-traditional events or holidays on this 14th day of February.

Here's a good site where you can find historical events on any given holiday. Today my two favorites (per today's title) are as follows.


1903 US Dept of Commerce & Labor established
1912 Arizona becomes 48th state

So Happy times to all you non-conformity fans out there.

No comments: