Site Meter What I Learned Today - MG's CIP: Trivia Day 1 - Potpourri Topics

Friday, February 15, 2008

Trivia Day 1 - Potpourri Topics

I've been collecting a number of these "hmmm, that's interesting" one liners: For a light Friday, I think this is a good opportunity to start to spread them out:

Food:

It takes approximately 2 million flowers worth of nectar to produce a pound of honey.

Music:

Axl Rose's real name is William Bailey (per the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame). I'd change it too if I was going into show bizness - already too many of them out there.

Frank Sinatra had a record label (Reprise Records)who - even though he swore it would not be a home to "rock and roll" signed a variety of such performers including Barenaked Ladies and Eric Clapton.

Movies:

John Wayne holds the record for the most leading roles by one actor (142). However, most films/movies is still up for discussion.

Sports:

The player who holds the record for breaking up the most perfect games with homeruns is Ricky Henderson (This is a great "trick" question, since every baseball game is a perfect game when it starts. His homers were all in the leadoff position where this question is concerned).

General Knowledge:

"A pint is a pound the world around" Refers to the weight of water by volume.


Cram that in your Cranium.

2 comments:

Angela Moore said...

Wow. That's a lot of flowers. And I'm totally using the baseball question on Eric.

Matt Garlock said...

Post on behalf of a family friend:

Grover says:

Matthew, I think the "a pint is a pound" ("the whole world round" is the rest of the rhyme) refers to the fact that there are 16 ounces in a pint, and 16 ounces in a pound. Although one of them is a liquid ounce, and one is an avoirdupois, or weight, pound.

I spent much of my adult life trying to convince my mother that there was a difference in the two "ounces", she kept insisting, "well it says a pint is a pound".