Site Meter What I Learned Today - MG's CIP: Bacon! Bacon! Bacon(ish)! 6 degrees of (pork) separation.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Bacon! Bacon! Bacon(ish)! 6 degrees of (pork) separation.

We're catching up a bit due to some connectivity. So there will be a few new posts today since each deserves it's own spotlight.

First, we have Bacon. Now that I have your attention: There are multiple types, styles of preparation and curing, origins, names... the list goes on and on.

Specifically, today's post is around Bacon (as you know it), Pancetta and Prosciutto. OK, prosciutto is more of a ham than a bacon, but I'm gonna give it some leeway since it's my blog ; )

Few times have I seen as much devotion to a breakfast plate accessory as with this perfectly palatable pork product. I mean, it has it's own fan club. Seriously? Well, I guess I can understand why.

I have some preferences where these delicacies are concerned. Today we'll focus on uses. I just finished up dinner. Fantastic fried chicken breasts using fried onions instead of breading (so tasty - Thanks Jill!), sided by mashed potatoes. Not just any mashed potatoes, but garlic, bacon, chive mashed potatoes. Bacon as an ingredient (when not covered in maple syrup next to pancakes) is my personal favorite use.

Prosciutto I like more as a wrap or a topping (like on good authentic Italian pizza). I created an treat over the holiday that was mozzarella and sliced tomato wrapped in prosciutto, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with oregano. Then I baked them (about 350 degrees) until the prosciutto was just crisping. They didn't last 6 minutes.

Pancetta I appreciate more as a main ingredient. Thick pancetta squares (about 3/4" to an inch cubed) pan fried, with vegetables and a bit of gnocchi - fantastic! It makes it one of the most versatile grouping of tasty treats to come from the same animal where a grill isn't involved.

Any other good dishes where this is the theme?

No comments: