Site Meter What I Learned Today - MG's CIP: Social Media and Buck O Nine

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Social Media and Buck O Nine

I had breakfast with some folks from work this morning (including my sister - who got me started on this blogging gig). The topic of discussion was social media. Being the consultant types that we are, we're trying to figure out how the new social media trend is going to be leveraged by corporations in the near and far future.

It was an interesting discussion, but the overarching sentiment was that there's not much the corporations can do. It's in the hands of the people now. (Isn't this what the 60's was all about?) And where are all the people? Short answer? Everywhere!

Linkedin, plaxo, facebook, myspace, ning, digg, twitter, blogspot (a personal favorite), personal web pages, forums, newsgroups, dogster, catster, hamster (not really)... the list goes on and on. I was ASTOUNDED to hear the list of social networking and social media vehicles that have infiltrated everyday life. I can barely even keep up posting on my own blog (and it's only been about 10 days) I have no idea how people engage in social networking on a regular basis. I'm able to do the occasional check with new links at former employers. And make a couple of business contacts in the process, connected with some family who left the area, caught up with a couple high school buddies... but the energy of some people... Unbelievable!

So I'm going through a few of these today following up on discussion topics and I come across a name I hadn't heard of in a long time: Buck O Nine. They're a ska band that I got into when I was in college and I haven't been able to find anything of theirs since. Who has it today? Amazon, of course.

What other off-beat artists come to mind? Oh, I don't know... The California Raisins, DaVinci's Notebook, Maybe some Ray Stevens? Yeah. I'm out there. I once put in an order to BMG (back when they had these things called "CDs") the contained Aerosmith, The Three Tenors, 2Pac, Jim Croce, Van Halen, Save Ferris, Miles Davis and Garth Brooks (that last one was a gift for someone) the calamity goes on and on.

In the words of Johnny Carson - "Weird and Wild Stuff"

3 comments:

Angela Moore said...

Buck-o-nine?? Saw them in college. They're amazing live. Saw them with Buck-o-nine...

In terms of social media you gotta love stuff like sk*rt, huggster, and cafemom!

Anonymous said...

"...the overarching sentiment was that there's not much the corporations can do." Wow, I was at the same meeting and did not come away with that impression at all. In fact, I think there are almost too many things companies can do, and because of that they need to develop a strategy to get there. They need to understand their audience & their current brand appeal, and tailor social media campaigns to build on that. For example, probably not a good idea for Jose Cuervo to promote on Facebook (underage drinkers), but certainly more appropriate for Starbucks.

In terms of Buck O Nine - the fact that you can find them now is what the Long Tail is all about. You are Amazon's ideal customer - they make the most margin on lesser known stuff. (see www.thelongtail.com)

And for the record, I do not believe you purchased Garth Brooks as a gift for someone else. Don't be ashamed...I won't hold it against you. Much.

Matt Garlock said...

An important distinction Adam. What I should have said is "there's not much the corporations can do to control efforts they don't initiate." Yes, they can direct your companies own efforts towards certain sites and communities, but companies can't control what individuals do on their own.