Site Meter What I Learned Today - MG's CIP: Kumite of the Onions

Monday, January 14, 2008

Kumite of the Onions

I caught a show on the Discovery Channel called Fight Quest. Basically, these two guys go around the world, learn new fighting techniques, get the snot beat out of them during training, then go through some challenge against the experts they train with (called a kumite). These guys are tough. But how long can this show run? How many fighting styles can there be?

So I go to my trusty sports reference book that a buddy of mine gave my wife and I (yes, it was for both of us). It's called The Sports Book - The Games - The Rules - The Tactics - The Techniques. This book Rocks - the cover is even made of that fake lawn/carpet/turf that my cousin's grandmother had on her porch for 30 years. I used it to check out the list of combat sports. Here's the list they supply:

Boxing, Fencing, Judo, Sumo, Wrestling, Karate, Taolu Kung Fu, Sanshou Kung Fu, Ju-Jitsu, Tae Kwon Do, Kickboxing, Sombo and Kendo. All of these have variations, different rules, different weapons, styles within the style. Fascinating stuff.

Flip back to the showing of one of my favorite cooking shows. Paula Deen is messing with her Macaroni and Cheese. I couldn't imagine her improving this meal. Then I saw this recipe - Put it in a casserole dish, chill it, cut it like rice krispie treats, wrap the square in bacon, and deep fry it. My cholesterol just went up about 10 points typing that.

But she got into another recipe where she was talking about different foods in the onion family. Some items I didn't know were considered there. Of course there are your standards (yellow, red, white, sweet, spanish, etc, etc) but then there were some other items closely related that I hadn't thought of. Green onions, chives, garlic, leeks, scallions and shallots. Good to know. Check out the full list here

1 comment:

Angela Moore said...

Nice. At least now I'm learning what the heck you are talking about.