Site Meter What I Learned Today - MG's CIP: Béchamel, Mirapoix, Remoulade and other Tastiness

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Béchamel, Mirapoix, Remoulade and other Tastiness

I'm hungry. I blame Alton Brown and DVR. Alton is the host of a show called Good Eats on the Food Network. He did a show the other day where he spoke about the variations on Mirapoix in French, Asian, etc cultures. I started to think of the French words that I hear on many of the cooking shows (I'm a Food Network junkie). So let's go through my top 3:

Béchamel: One of the 5 mother sauces - these are the sauces that all other sauces are purported to be a derivative of (thanks Sisler!). It's a cream/milk sauce used in the creation of other tasty goodness... There's one.

Mirapoix: Here's another favorite french food flag (Thanks to Emeril for introducing me to this one). It's a combination of Carrot, Celery and (2 parts) Onion (traditionally). Used as a set of aromatiques to become a flavor base for a wide number of dishes. Translation: Base crunchiness that gives whatever you put on it some base flavor. Fun stuff. Make sure you sweat them vs saute them (again per Alton - good show). Releases the flavor - doesn't lose the moisture.

Remoulade: A typically Mayo based concoction that is sometimes used as a condiment. Quite tasty. I'm going to try a couple of recipes this weekend that I came across looking for links to this.

Tastiness abounds. I've worked a lot on entrees over the last couple of years (Meats, vegetables, not much of seafood guy myself). I've also lived in Italy for a year during college... so I'm a fan of rich and tasty foods. So this year I'm going to expand my Sauce knowledge. Please send any recipes for sauces that you like. I'll start taking pictures of what I work on and post them as I expand my knowledge in this new area.

No comments: